Katelyn has been a pacifier baby since almost day one. Eating always hurt (due to reflux) but sucking on a pacifier felt good. In those early days, she spent alot of time swaddled really tight in her bouncer with a pacifier.
As she got older, she typically only used it at night and naps. I didn't mind - when she woke up at night, I would stick the pacifier back in and often get a couple more hours of sleep. If she was still crying, I knew that she was actually hungry. She kinda liked it during the day, but wouldn't notice if it wasn't around.
Around Katy's first birthday, I decided it was time to really be strict about only using it during naps and bedtime. Somehow she caught on to what I was doing and whined and whined until I finally gave in.
And now, we're to this:
A toddler with a pacifier. It bugs me. Babies who can walk and "talk" should not have something in their mouth constantly. But...I'm not sure what to do. She LOVES the thing.
I was even fine with nighttime use - until - she started waking up because she can't find it. Usually it has fallen under the crib or she is just laying on it. But it still requires me to wake up and hand it to her. Somehow, even though she was sleeping through the night just a few short weeks ago, she is now up 2-3 times EVERY night. Sigh.
So...do I take it away? Just during the day? All the time? Quit cold turkey or gradually? Or just deal with it for now and wait until she's older?
The other night I put six of them in her crib. It kinda worked - Katy was only up once. When she woke the next morning, she had to gather them all up before getting out of the crib, then toddled off. She laid the little pile on a chair, then grinned and made a sound like "hehehe". Yep, she loves them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment