Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of School

Lane has been so excited to start preschool and today was finally the big day!  He woke up and immediately asked to put on his "school" clothes and go.

I tried to get a good "first day of school" photo, but he was being so goofy!


Katy and I took him to school (me on my bike, Katy in the bike seat, and Lane in the bike trailer - we make quite a scene!) and walked him to his classroom.  He's already been there a few times - a couple of speech appointments and preschool orientation last week - so he felt really comfortable and just dived right in to start playing!  I don't think he even noticed that I left.

I've had a lot of people ask if I'm sad about him starting school.  I'm not!  I'm excited for him (he loves situations like that!) and I'm excited to start a new phase in our life.  I did get a little teary-eyed walking in to the school today, but that was more from nostalgia than anything.  My dad went to that school, I went to that school (had first grade in the classroom Lane is in now!) and now Lane gets to go. 

Katy and I had a good first morning without Lane around - she was pretty crabby from lack of sleep - but I would much rather deal with one crabby toddler than two of them ;)  We didn't do much - cleaned a little, caught up on laundry, and then went for a walk to the post office (the long way around).  We had a little adventure when we watched the city workers put a snapping turtle back in the lake.  When we got home, Katy wanted to ride the bike, so we rode my bike all around town. 

Lane was very excited to ride the school bus home.  It was so cute to see him get off!



He told me all about his day - he played in the block house with Trenton, got to swing on the swings, had a snack with chocolate milk, blew bubbles, bounced on a green ball, never took Little Deer out of his backpack, drew pictures, went potty by himself (and covered his ears when it flushed since it was loud), and got to ride the bus home.  Whew - busy day for a 3-year-old!

I think he will enjoy the year - it's already off to a great start!

1 comment:

  1. It is so much fun to watch them grow up & you are really developing a great journal this way.
    Renita

    ReplyDelete