Wednesday, August 3, 2011

DIY Mason Jar Chandelier

One of the hottest things in home decor right now is mason jars (just google "diy" or "home decor" and "mason jars" and you'll see what I mean).  Even before we bought this house, I saw mason jar chandeliers everywhere and thought they were one of the cutest things ever!  When we realized that we had to change almost all the lights in the house, I started scrutinizing each one to see if I could redo it somehow.

It took awhile before I gave the stairwell light a second glance.  Doesn't look like it could be much different!


Plastic Tiffany-style lamp just wasn't the look I was going for. Then, I realized that if I just took the shade off, the lights underneath were actually in pretty good shape and very simple.

So, with a little spray paint, a few mason jars and a very handy husband who is not scared to climb a ladder and balance on the stair rail, I got this:



It's really hard to take good pictures of new lighting, especially in a dark stairwell with no natural light! 

I love it - even more so since it only cost $4 for some oil-rubbed bronze spray paint.  I basically just took apart the chandelier, painted it, cut holes in the jar lid with tin snips, then balanced the jars (found in my mom's basement - thanks mom!) on the "arms" (what would those things be called??).  One is a little off-balance, but as long as we don't swing it around, it will be fine :)

$4 for a chandelier makeover vs. $100+ for a new light?  Of course!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great. Lane was sure to point it out to me yesterday. I wandered if you made it.

    ReplyDelete