Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Homemade Goldfish "Biscuits"

When I saw homemade goldfish crackers on Pinterest a few weeks ago, I decided that I had to make some.  I just got around to making them yesterday and today (the dough has to chill, which I didn't realize until I had the dough mixed up!).

I even made my own little goldfish cutter out of a pop can (also got the idea from Pinterest).


The dough was super easy to make since it's mixed in the food processor...cutting out all the little goldfish took a lot longer!


Luckily, Katy was entertained by play-doh.  Once I had one pan full, I decided to just cut the rest in squares. I was tired of little fishies :)

Katy LOVES the finished product!  However, they turned out more like goldfish biscuits.  I don't think I rolled the dough out thin enough, so they puffed up like cute little biscuits!  They are really tasty - kinda chewy and light and really cheesy.


I tried getting Katy to pose for the camera, but she didn't cooperate very well!


Goldfish Crackers


1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder (I left this out!)

4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Pulse the flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder together using a food processor.

Add the butter and cheese.  Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

Pulse in 3 to 4 tablespoons water (I used 5), 1 tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball.  Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.

Roll dough to 1/8 in. thickness, cut out fish, and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees until golden and crisp (13-18 minutes).  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.  Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment