Saturday, October 8, 2011

Harvest


Harvest started two weeks ago and it's been going by fast!  When we started, the fields were still pretty green, but luckily the wind has blown and it has been hot, which helped the corn turn brown.  It feels a little more like fall now!

Like last year, Curtis can usually be found in the combine.  He's figuring it all out and he likes it (most of the time - I think what he really misses about driving truck is having the freedom to drive through Arby's for lunch!).


We have gone out to the field for almost every supper.  It's a lot of running around - I feel like I live in my car - but it's a great chance for the kids to see Daddy and play in the dirt.  There can be up to 14 people there, so it's almost like a party every night. The kids love it!

Lane has spent several hours riding along in the combine.  (Last night he didn't think Katy and I should allowed in.  Boys only.)  He's pretty funny - while he's in there, you'd think it was just another thing to ride in. He almost looks bored and doesn't seem to be having all that much fun.  As soon as he gets home, however, things change!  ALL he talks about is the combine and what it does and what happens to the corn and where the tractor goes and every other tiny detail.  His mind goes a mile a minute.  I just have to say the words, "Want to go ride with Daddy?" and he drops whatever he is doing and is out the door in a flash.

Katy is surprisingly fascinated with it all too. I really expected her to not care, but she loves seeing the big machines and riding in everything.  She was pretty nervous the first time we rode in the combine, but now she'll sit so quietly and just watch everything.  She loves watching the combine dump into the auger wagon.


I was hoping for a little rain today so that harvest could take a break.  Oh well, at least it means I don't have to cook supper. ;)  Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment