I often wonder if I play with my kids enough- doesn't every mom wonder that at some point? I tend to think of myself as more of a "cruise ship director". I am perfectly happy thinking up activities for them to do, but I don't necessarily want to play with them all the time. We do play together at least a couple times a day; however, I'm starting to realize that the more I play with my kids, the more they NEED me to play with them. It seems like they forget how to play on their own if I interfere too much!
Lane constantly asks "Can you play with me, Mommy?" - even if I am literally sitting on the floor building a Duplo tower for him to knock down or if I have just spent the last 30 minutes pretending to build a tree house with Growlbert and Kitty O'bey.
My latest response has been, "No, that's why you have a sister." After hearing that several times in a row, Lane has started to ask Katy to play with him!
On this particular day, I had a headache and was super tired so I just wanted to rest. Lane whined for me to play with him, but finally he realized that Katy was willing. They had so much fun running around together and kicking balls.
Of course they still fight like cats and dogs, but I have noticed more and more interaction and actual playing between the two of them. Lane has even started to ask Katy to play something without me having to prompt him. The other day he made an obstacle course for the two of them and they can often be found playing construction site Duplos together.
Finally - a little break for this tired mommy!




No comments:
Post a Comment