Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day...or Father's Day?

Curtis recently found a good deal on a jon boat (a tiny little fishing boat) and decided to get it since Lane has liked going fishing.  Curtis has been trying to find a time to take it to a lake, but it seems like we were always busy.  So, since he went with me to Lincoln on Saturday (shopping for maternity clothes) and is spending the weekend with my family next weekend (trip to Buhler) I suggested taking it somewhere on Mother's Day.



Curtis decided on Mormon Island since it's fairly close and we would have to drive two vehicles.  (Seriously, we have no need for a crew cab pickup for how long and as soon as we sell it we have a need for it...)

We all piled into the boat when we arrived.  I wish I had a picture of us actually fishing, but the boat was too crowded so I couldn't get any pictures!  We caught quite a few tiny bluegill.  Katy entertained herself by playing with a paddle in the water.  Lane wanted to copy her and tried using a net - but then he dropped it and it sank. He then decided to be a nice big brother and let Katy try out his fishing pole.  She did pretty good for awhile...but soon that too fell in the water and sank.  At that point it was time for lunch!


I picked up Jimmy Johns sandwiches for Curtis and I and the kids got Lunchables.  Lane thought it was so much fun - "Mom, we're pretending to have a picnic!"

After we ate, the kids threw sticks in the water for awhile.  Curtis wanted to take the boat out again, but the kids were too restless for that.  We thought there might be a playground at the campground, but nope.  So, we played in the sand for awhile until Lane got annoyed at all the rocks and said, "Mom, we have better sand at home."


Then, the kids hopped on their bike/trike and pedaled around.  They soon grew tired of that and Lane said, "This is too bumpy.  I like the bike path at home!"


So, back to the boat we went.  We tried to fish some more, but since we forced Katy to wear her life jacket, she threw a tantrum for the next 10 minutes until I told her we could go home.  She was really tired (she does not do good with missing her nap!) so I packed up the van and took her home.  She fell asleep right away, but unfortunately woke up around Aurora.

Lane decided to stay and fish some more with Daddy.



They caught a lot of bluegill and Lane wanted to take them home.  Curtis tried to cut them up, but they were so small that the only thing they will be good for is in traps as coon bait!  I felt bad when Lane asked me later, "What are we having for supper?  Fish that a little boy caught?"

So, the whole day felt more like Father's Day (fishing, Jimmy Johns, me spending the afternoon with a crabby girl) but Curtis did take us to Wendy's for supper and then cleaned the house when we got home.  It was a good day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment