This past weekend was the annual Community Days...it's a lot more fun now that we live in town! I don't feel like we have to plan out our weekend so much - if we want to go to something, we can decide at the last minute and we don't feel like we have to stay long!
The weekend started with a BBQ in the downtown park on Friday night. It was fun to catch up with friends, even though the kids were hot and crabby! We debated whether we should keep them up late to watch the fireworks that evening. Lane was super excited about them, so we decided he could stay up. I found us a good place to watch them down by the lake, but sadly, it was about 10 feet too far for Katy's monitor to reach! So she got to stay up just because everyone else was.
I was really excited to see my friend Emily and her husband Kevin! They drove back from KC that night and stopped by our house so they could watch the fireworks too. They got here a little early (just in time to distract the kids from their crabbiness) so we had some time to catch up. It was my first time to meet Ayden and he was so cute - and so well-behaved. Makes me a little more anxious for my own :)
The fireworks were really good! I was impressed by the show - big and pretty! Super loud, probably because we were pretty close, but luckily the kids weren't scared. We heard from some friends in Harvard that they were able to see them from their house!
The next day began with the parade. I think Lane was hoping for more candy, but it's hard to get a bunch when you're not very aggressive :)
We ended up going home for lunch and to cool off. It was really hard for me to be out in the heat so much - I'm just not used to it! I walked around the car show for about 10 minutes before I had to go back inside and take a long nap!
After naps, we headed back to the park so that Lane and Katy could play on the inflatables. Lane loved the slide and wasn't scared at all, even though he tumbled head over heels a couple of times. Katy thought the little "maze" was fun, but she was more content to sit in the shade, eat graham crackers, and laugh at Lane.
The kids and Curtis played a round of miniature golf before it was time to head home for supper. Lane was pretty sure that he beat Daddy because he got his ball in the hole first every time. We let him think that :)
After supper, we walked across the street for the home run derby. We thought it would be a lot more popular than it was. Curtis signed up - and won in his age group! (Do I need to mention that the only other guy was Brad? And Brad said he hadn't hit a ball for years?) Lane even took part and actually hit the ball once!
By that time I was really hot so it was time to go home. We planned to go to the community church service in the park this morning, but I decided against it when I realized that it would already be 83 degrees by 10:00! We enjoyed our church's air conditioning instead (and Curtis thought it was cold in church - I wanted to hit him!).
A good weekend - Lane said he had sooo much fun and can't wait until next year. As long as the kids have fun - that's what it's all about, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment