Monday, July 9, 2012

Canning

I decided to can my first-ever batch of pickles this week.  I'm not a fan of dill, so I searched all over until I found a recipe that I think I might like.  I used the recipe for Sweet Pickle Spears out of the Ball Canning Guide.  Simply sugar, vinegar, turmeric, salt and mustard seed.  Canning was the easy part; the hard part was teaching a little boy to be patient.  He couldn't wait to get his hands on my canning supplies and "can" his own veggies!


He was so excited when I let him use some of my jars.  Even more excited when I let him use the lids, too!


Apparently he watched me pretty closely throughout the whole process - he knew that he had to get the air bubbles out and measure the headspace!



Ready to be canned!  He told me that he was canning cucumbers and watermelon to take over to Kitty O'bey's house because she didn't have any blue supplies - just green ones (which apparently don't work as well?).   He was entertained by everything for well over an hour!

Oh, and my pickles turned out pretty good!  Judging by the amount of blossoms on my cucumbers, I will be canning more in the next couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment