If you were given the chance to live Plain for a summer, would you do it? Julie Charlton was approached by her sister-in-law, Susan, to do just that. The women (along with their teenage kids) were invited to film a reality TV series on the challenges of living as the Amish do. Julie jumped at the chance to slow down (after all, isn't Amish life "simple"?), while Susan thought it was the prefect chance to further her career (and show the world how "perfect" she can be). Will their teenagers adapt to life without modern conveniences? Will the women find their break from everyday life?
I was pleasantly surprised by "Almost Amish" by Kathryn Cushman. When I signed up to review this book, I was expecting just another Amish fiction book. The way that this book approached Amish life was refreshing. So often, us "Englishers" see Plain living as simpler and slower-paced. However, "Almost Amish" showed that isn't always the case.
Most of us as wives and mothers can relate to Julie's feelings about the "modern" world. Too many commitments, too many expectations, and too little time together as a family. The things we have to do (such as cleaning, committees, baking, etc.) don't always lie within our strengths and can leave us feeling drained. Others of us are like Susan - we have to show everyone that we are perfect and that everything is always under control.
I liked the reminder that we don't have to be like every other wife and mother out there; our house, our food, our crafts, our meetings, our committees, even our kids' activities don't have to look like everyone else's. It's okay to say no sometimes :)
I was provided a copy of this book to review by Bethany House Publishers; however, all opinions are my own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment