Thursday, January 26, 2012

New craft area!

Since we finished the family room back in September, I've been searching for the right desk for the office/craft area.  The one we had obviously wasn't right.



We did eventually use a 6' folding table, but that gave me no storage and Curtis hated looking at all my scrapbooking and crafting supplies all the time!

I checked Craigslist and the FB buy/sell/trade pages quite often, but never did find anything cheap enough or pretty enough.  One day, Curtis called me and asked if I wanted my parents' old desk - it had been sitting in a shed for over 2 years and Bret was getting ready to throw it out.  Of course I wanted it - but only if I could paint it.  So I did and I LOVE it.


So much storage!  I actually have a rolling cart and my sewing machine in the door cupboard.  I can't fit all my stuff in the desk, but at least I don't have to run downstairs every single time I do something!


There's plenty of room for my Silhouette to sit on the desk - it's actually gotten used a lot more in the week that I've had the new desk.


The actual painting of the desk wasn't too bad - I read lots of blog posts and figured out how to do it. I discovered Zinsser Cover Stain primer and that made the whole process much easier - I didn't have to sand it at all!  Just two coats of primer, two coats of semi-gloss latex paint and two coats of water-based polyurethane.  Curtis is finally starting to understand...he was the one that suggested painting it turquoise :)  Who wants to live with ugly old oak?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment