This year, we celebrated with the Farrall's on the 29th. We decided to get together at Rachelle's house. I was glad because I like going to Omaha! Curtis and I (and Scarlett) actually got away for a couple hours to do some shopping. Neither of us bought anything, though, besides Chinese food!
Lane loved wearing the elf hat, and Katy was pretending to have antlers on her head so she could be a reindeer.
The kids drew names for gifts this year - Katy got a couple of small Nerf guns from Lane. I think Chad and Curtis had more fun than Katy! Actually, I don't think Katy has even shot them yet!
This is our best attempt at a family photo - the kids are watching Christmas movies on TV :)
The adults decided to do a game exchange - that was pretty fun! It was nice to have a theme and an easy way to buy gifts. I think next year we're planning on doing "As Seen on TV". And hopefully having Christmas in July ;)
On Sunday, we joined my family at the bowling alley in York. It had been forever since I had bowled! And it showed - the first game, both Lane and Katy beat me! They had so much fun :)
The second game, I did a lot better. Casey and I were tied up until the 7th frame...then I finally pulled away and beat her. Pretty sure she crumbled under the pressure ;)
On New Year's Day, we finally celebrated Christmas with my family.
Lane got the gift he has wanted for months - a Lego space shuttle! He was thrilled.
Katy's favorite gift was a Lightning McQueen backpack. She's worn it around the house every day since then, and she's pretty sure that she starts preschool tomorrow (in reality, it's still 8 months away. 8 long months!).
Katy also got this cute vet costume from Casey. Another gift was an animal hospital, so she's had lots of fun taking care of animals!
Curtis has a tradition of making my mom a gift. This year, it was a pivot sprinkler. It turned out really well! Now we just hope that it actually works this spring!
And...the traditional photo of the table. We had elf food for supper - can't mess with that tradition! Lots and lots of laughter around the table that night!
It was a good day - it really helped that Scarlett slept in her carseat for 3 hours after we got there, allowing me to eat brunch and open presents in peace! We were even able to play a couple of games - Blokus while the kids were napping and Wits and Wagers while the kids watched a movie after supper.
I kept saying how next Christmas will be way more fun since Scarlett will be over a year old. While that's probably true, it was also pretty special having a tiny baby at Christmastime. I kept thinking about Mary when she had baby Jesus. It's hard enough to have a newborn now with hospitals and modern conveniences - I can't imagine having a baby in a stable, let alone knowing that you are the caretaker of the Savior. (I'm betting baby Jesus didn't have acid reflux though. And probably slept through the night right away). It was a good Christmas this year :)
No comments:
Post a Comment